The United States has a very high rate of depression and aggression compared to most other countries. With our face-paced lifestyles, could it be our lack of emphasis on human touch and interaction?
Many people lack the companionship they desire in life. Lacking physical touch and someone to listen to you can lead to feelings of depression, anxiety and overwhelming stress. Loneliness can be very painful.
Studies have shown that the lack of human touch is an enormous factor towards causing depression. Human touch releases oxytocin (a chemical in our brains), which is why touch therapy and professional cuddling services have been so successful. Oxytocin has a major role in lowering blood pressure, lowering stress levels, reducing social anxiety, helping to relieve pain, and protecting against inflammation. We’re learning that cuddling and snuggling is a crucial component of life that is considerably undervalued. We need human touch to help us grow mentally and physically because of the chemical changes it causes in the body.
Below is a list of the benefits caused by the release of oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin that happens when we cuddle and snuggle with another human being:
- Protection against inflammation and oxidative stress
- Decreased stress and increased relaxation
- Lessened depression
- Lessened anxiety and social anxiety
- Improved social skills
- Improved self-esteem Improved sleep
- Lowered blood pressure and heart rate
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Improved immune system and faster recovery
- Pain relief and raised pain threshold
- Reduced drug cravings
- Lessened PTSD